Careers: Bulletin Autumn 2020
Dear Year 11 Parents and Carers,
Hello, my name is Lisa Hutchinson and I am your Careers Adviser at Manchester Health Academy.
I want to share with you some information on how to access careers resources, provide information on college deadlines and to reassure you that your child will be receiving as much support as possible at MHA.
I am in school Monday to Thursday and you can contact me on [email protected] with any questions you may have.
The Autumn term is always busy when students are trying to complete college applications, meet deadlines and work out what they would like to do.
All students will receive a careers interview in Year 11. As you know this term has been challenging for us all, but please be assured that Manchester Health Academy will support your child as they move into their college course or apprenticeship.
Please be aware of the following:
- Loreto College application deadline is 8th January 2021. Students are advised to hand their completed application form into the Academy well in advance so that a reference can be added before they send it to the college for consideration.
- Xaverian College application deadline is 15th January 2021. Students are advised to hand their completed application form into the Academy well in advance so that a reference can be added before they send it to the college for consideration.
- The other colleges also have closing dates, do check on their websites for details.
- Colleges (apart from Loreto and Xaverian) have online applications that are generally easy to use.
- Your child can apply to as many colleges/apprenticeships as they choose to
- If your child needs extra support with their personal statement, particularly for Loreto and Xaverian, they can email me on [email protected] or they can see me in school . Form teachers have been provided with personal statement examples.
- There is an extensive list of websites on the careers page on the school website. These include apprenticeship websites, and websites which identify your skills and interests. I recommend you have a look at these useful websites.
- Most apprenticeships are advertised on https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship .Most vacancies that are aimed at 2021 summer school leavers are advertised after Christmas. Students are encouraged to apply for a college course as a backup if applying for apprenticeships.
- We will be keeping track of applications made and we will make sure that your child has made applications and is feeling happy about their transition into POST 16, but I would be very grateful if you could communicate any concerns to me so that we can work together to support your child.
With kind regards,