Moving on from Year 11

Your secondary school journey ending is a big event in your life, and one you may have mixed feelings about.  You have a lot to look forward to, but change can be unsettling and nerve-wracking.

Please continue to look after your mental and physical health once you leave the Academy.

Mental health support after high school

The list below has information and links about who you might reach out to once you finish high school and our counselling work together. There are lots of places for you to reach out if you need support – please don’t feel you have to struggle on your own.

1) GP – FREE – our GP is a great source of help and support when things feel difficult and will often be able to signpost you on to other services such as CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health service).

2) 42nd Street - FREE  – Young people up to the age of 25 can self-refer via the website. 42nd St offer 1-2-1 counselling support, group work, creative projects, online workshops.

3) Kooth – FREE / – online counselling and emotional wellbeing platform offering 1-2-1 support from a trained counsellor, support up until 10pm at night, daily journal writing for young people as well as an online magazine, and discussion boards. Young people up to the age of 24 can sign up to any of the above themselves.

4) Mind – FREE – Information line: 0300 123 3393 – providing advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.

5) Beacon Counselling Service – FREE – counselling service for children and young people. Register for an appointment via their website or by calling the number below.

Email: [email protected] – Phone: 0161 4400055

6) Get Self Help – FREE – lots of resources and information around how to help yourself with a range of mental health issues

7) Chathealth: text 07507 330 205 – FREE – Run by School nurses a free and easy texting service for students to ask any physical or mental health questions

8) Winston’s Wish – FREE – bereavement counselling, help and support

9) Eclypse – FREE – 0161 839 2054  Drug and Alcohol misuse / abuse for children – you can refer yourself to the service and they will help support you.

10) NSPCC Child Protection Helpline – FREE – 0808 800 5000 – Offers advice and support to anyone concerned about the welfare of a child, a confidential and free service open 24 hours

11) SHOUT – FREE – text AFC to 85258 – free and confidential crisis support service – 24 hours a day.

12) Young Minds – FREE  – a wide variety of help and support for young people who are struggling with any mental health concerns. Advice and support you can access plus self-help information to help you take care of yourself.

13) College – A lot of colleges will provide counselling services just like the one you accessed at MHA. Please ask when you start for what support they can offer you.

Self care after high school

This pack has lots of information, tips and advice about looking after book your mental and physical health: final-selfcaresummer-secondary (1)